Here is what I made:
For advieh spice blend, mix together
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cumin
Persian Spiced Beef with Butternut Squash:
2 lbs butternut squash peeled, deseeded and chopped into even chunks (about 1/2 large squash)
1 lb grass fed ground beef
1 medium red onion sliced into half moons
1/4 cup organic raisins
1/4 cup pistachios, crushed (I used roasted & salted and that was good. Original called for raw, unsalted)
advieh spice mix
2 Tbsp ghee or grass fed butter
handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
sea salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F.
- Place cubed butternut squash into a large mixing bowl and season with S&P, then drizzle over 1 Tbsp of melted grass-fed butter or ghee. Toss to coat.
- Place into the lined baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the squash is roasted and tender.
- While the squash is baking, heat a skillet on medium heat. Add in another Tbsp of grass-fed butter or ghee.
- When the skillet is heated add in the red onion and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until softened.
- Add in the grass-fed beef and using a wooden spoon, break up the meat as it is cooking.
- When the beef is nearly browned, season with some S&P and the advieh. Mix to combine.
- Add in the raisins and stir to mix. Let cook for about 5 minutes then add in the pistachios and stir.
- Once the meat is almost done, stir in the freshly chopped parsley.
- Remove the baked butternut squash from the oven and add it into the beef mixture.