Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Spaghetti Squash with Garden Fresh Tomato Sauce

Have you ever made a spaghetti squash?  If not, put it on your to do list.  It is easy, delicious and nutritious.  We have a few from our garden we have been eating.  I made a double batch of this garden fresh tomato sauce with some tomatoes we have falling off our vines.  It just seemed right to pare it with a spaghetti squash.  Make sauce, cook squash according to one of the following methods, drain squash and mix with desired amount of sauce, return to skins, top with a bit more sauce and cheese (if you want), return to oven for about 10 minutes until heated through. 

Here are my 2 favorite ways to make a spaghetti squash.  The first one is my thinking ahead idealistic way of always doing it.  The second is my ""Oh no, it's almost dinnertime, everyone is hungry and I've given no thought to what I'm making method."  Both work equally well.  I always try to drain it in a colander for a few minutes after scooping it out as squash is a very watery vegetable. 

1.  Bake it.  This is a wonderful tutorial from Elana Amsterdam.
2.  Microwave it.  Here is Nom Nom Paleo's tutorial on this method.

This is the final product that my family & I devoured!  This was a labor intensive dish, but super cheap since I mainly used ingredients I grew, so I don't mind.
image 
I had a bit of sauce leftover, but I will use it on something or dump in my chili today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment