Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Paleo Egg Nog

When it began snowing yesterday, we began thinking of all things "winter."  My girls are always excited to see egg nog hit the shelves this time of year.  Since these cartons are full of dairy and additives, I began to search for a homemade version we can enjoy and digest.  This recipe from The Paleo Parents had lots of good reviews.  I started out with their basic raw version.

2 cups full fat coconut milk (I used homemade)
2 cups almond milk (I used homemade)
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract (since I used plain almond milk)
1/8 tsp ground allspice

Blend well in a blender, chill & serve with ground cinnamon or nutmeg on top. 

I felt it needed rum flavor to make it more egg nog like, so I added:

1/2 tsp rum extract (I'm sure real rum would be great, but this was made for children.)
1/8 tsp sea salt

We loved it with these additions! 
image

No comments:

Post a Comment