Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sweet Potato Casserole

Just in time for Thanksgiving, my kiddos and I created this wonderful sweet potato casserole.  Our family of 6 did not leave 1 bite, so double the recipe if cooking for a large group.  I thought it was delicious because of the perfect texture and blend of flavors.  For the kiddos, it was all about the marshmallows!  There are many recipes online for paleo marshmallows, but I have never made them.  I found a bag at Hy-Vee that was allergy friendly and non-GMO that did not contain HFCS, so I decided to use these.

Sweet Potato Casserole
2 lbs peeled & sliced sweet potatoes (about 3-4)
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
4 Tbsp salted butter (I use Kerrygold)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1- 1 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1 cup marshmallows

Boil sweet potatoes for 20-30 minutes until soft.  Preheat oven to 350 while boiling.  Drain cooked potatoes thoroughly.  Add coconut milk, maple syrup, butter, cinnamon, and salt.  Whip until very smooth and blended with a hand or stand mixer.  Spread mixture into a buttered casserole dish.  Top with pecans and marshmallows.  Bake 20-25 minutes until potatoes are bubbly and marshmallows are browned. 
image

No comments:

Post a Comment