Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Quesadillas (Paleo/Primal) plus Taco Seasoning Mix

Quesadillas are always a hit with my family.  We like them with chicken, but LOVE them with steak!  Here is a quick & easy way to make them.

1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
3 peppers, thinly sliced (I like to use a mix of colors)
1 sirloin steak, thinly sliced
taco seasoning
1-2 limes (optional)
Coconut oil, refined

Optional toppings to choose from:
Cheddar cheese
Fresh cilantro
Diced tomatoes
Salsa
Shredded Lettuce
Cooked corn
Sour Cream
Guacamole

1.  Make tortillas.  We like this recipe.  This can be done the day before.
2.  Slice everything up.  I like to halfway defrost my meat to make it into thin slivers.
3.  Heat a griddle or wok.  Add oil.  Lay meat in single layer.  Sprinkle with taco seasoning & lime juice.  Flip meat and add veggies.  Add more lime juice if desired.  Saute til meat is cooked and veggies are tender crisp.
4.  Place tortillas on a griddle coated with butter.  Sprinkle cheese(if desired) and add meat mixture to one half.  Flip other half over to make a half circle.  Cook for a couple minutes and flip.
5.  Serve with desired toppings.

Need a good taco seasoning mix?  This is a recipe that was in our church cookbook that I have been using.  I've made one modification to make it grain free.

1 T. onion flakes
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I prefer granulated garlic)
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cornstarch (I sub arrowroot powder for grain free)

Combine all ingredients.  For taco meat, add mix to 1 pound of ground beef along with 1 tablespoon ketchup and 1/2 cup water.  Simmer until thickened.

I used just the mix for the quesadillas.

image

No comments:

Post a Comment