Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

Roasted Tomato Soup

Do any of you gardeners know the stage where you have too many tomatoes to eat fresh, but not quite enough to make a canner full of something?  This is when I make a batch of tomato soup.  I freeze it and then use it for recipes or just to eat.  I found this recipe for roasted tomato soup and thought it sounded great.  I made a double batch and used chicken broth I had in the freezer instead of vegetable broth.  It seemed to me it needed a bit more spice to it, so I also added 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning and a bit of fresh basil.  If you like a bit of heat, I would consider roasting a hot pepper with it or adding a few splashes of hot sauce.   
image 
I would like to tell you how much this made and how much I froze, but we ate this with supper and this was all I had left.
 
image 
Needless to say, my family loved this!  I hope to make it again when I have more tomatoes and this time get some in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment