Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Chipotle Barbacoa & Paleo Tortillas

Do any of you buy freezer beef by the quarter or half?  I do.  As I near the end, I always try to evaluate what I  need to focus on using and what I need ration out until the next order comes in.  Right now I have several roasts and am a bit shy on the ground.  Sooooooo, I've been eying this recipe for some time now and decided to use 2 chuck roasts for it.  Right off the bat I came across a couple obstacles.
1.  My meat was chuck roast with bones in them weighing 5.5lbs, not a center cut shoulder roast weighing 3 lbs.  Oh well!
2.  I have never seen dried chipotle peppers.  I don't think I've ever bought them before,  I did find a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce at my nearest Kroger in the ethnic foods section.  The can did list sugar and soy in the ingredients, but I decided it can't be that much and I'd just wipe the sauce off the peppers. The cans were so small, so I bought 2.  I ended up only using 5 peppers which was about half a can.
3.  I was feeling so pumped about this and so pleased with my forethought about getting it all in the crock pot I failed to remember we had supper plans that night.  So, after cooking for 9 hours on low, I removed it from the bones, shredded the meat and put it in the fridge for dinner the next night.

All this being said, here is my review: This was so good and tender and had great flavor.  It was SPICY!!!  I ended up making regular taco meat for the youngest 3 in our family.  We served ours with lettuce, tomato, peppers, cilantro and these tortillas.  I want to try this recipe again sometime and cut back on the chipotle next time.  :) Anyone want to split a can of peppers???

image 
***This meat freezes well.***

No comments:

Post a Comment