Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chicken Salad on Rye

A few years ago my sister-in-law and I created what we considered the perfect chicken salad recipe.  We have made it several times, but it has been awhile!  I made a half batch yesterday and the kiddos took it to school today.  They put it in containers and took Van's gluten free crackers (not paleo) to scoop it up with.  They love taking something other than sandwiches sometimes.  I plan to eat mine on the rye bread I made yesterday.

Is it lunchtime yet???? 

Chicken Salad for a Group
8 cups chicken, cooked & chopped (we've used turkey breast before)
1 1/2 cup lightly toasted pecans, chopped
2 1/2  cups red grapes, halved
2 cups celery, chopped 
1/3 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained & chopped

Mix these all together and chill, preferably for several hours or overnight.

For the sauce:
3 cups mayo
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp curry powder
1 Tbsp soy sauce (I used coconut aminos to make it paleo)

Add 1-3 hours before serving


image
Here's my lunch that I was blessed to share with some family today.  Included hot tea since it is so cold! 


***This makes enough to fill 20 crescent rolls.  Four batches will fill 15 dozen silver dollar rolls for our church lunch.  My half batch yielded about 6 cups.***

2 comments:

  1. Is this something you could freeze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have frozen this bread before. I've never done the chicken salad, but I suspect the texture would not be great and it may be watery.

      Delete