Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

How to Make Bone Broth

When I am purchasing good quality products, I do not like to waste anything!  This goes for the chickens I purchase from Turducken Farm (check out their Facebook page Turducken Farm).  I roasted a chicken a few days ago and served it for supper.  Yesterday I made chicken salad out of the leftovers.  I also started making broth from the bones.  This is the most nutritious, flavorful broth!  Here's how I do it:

Step 1:  Place all the bones, leftover skin and cartilage in a large pot.  Cover with water.  Season with anything you like (onion, celery, carrots), this time I just did salt and pepper.  Add about 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar.  The vinegar helps to leach all the minerals from the bones. 

Step 2:  Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for at least 24 hours.

Here's how mine looked this morning:

image  

Step 3:  Strain into a glass or metal bowl.
 image 
Step 4:  Cover and refrigerate until the fat becomes solid on top. 

Step 5:  Scrape the fat off the top and use the broth or refrigerate or freeze for later use.  I often freeze my excess in 2 cup portions. 

 image




 

2 comments:

  1. I put 2 chicken carcasses in a big pot and cover it with water. By the end of the 24 hours I end up with 2 cups of broth. Is this normal? Do I need to add more water? Is my pot lid leaking out too much water (evaporating)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does reduce for me too, but I think you need a tighter fitting lid & more water. That 2 cups will be full of nutrition! :)

      Delete