Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Special Occasion Food

We will be with getting together with family and friends this weekend.  I try to eat the best I can when going other places.  Both of our families usually have some good, healthy choices and it is nice to partake.  I like to bring something to share that my gluten free kiddo and I can enjoy, but that others will like too.  This weekend I am taking chocolate almond joy bars since I know my family likes these.  I also made a batch of homemade twix bars.  This recipe has been going around on facebook and my mom asked if I'd try it (she has Celiac disease and hasn't eaten a Twix for probably a decade!)  I used regular Toll House chocolate chips for this occasion per my children's request.  I agreed that it would be less "twixy" with dark chocolate.  This will still be a better choice than eating traditional desserts or candy!  Finally, I made a pan of junky, full of white flour and sugar bars that were devoured by the kids last time we were together.  My kiddos requested these and I don't mind making "junk food" on the occasion, we are eating much better on the everyday days.  When considering what treats I will eat I look at it as a "best, better, worst" scenario.  The chocolate almond joy bars are the best, the twix bars are a better than what I ate a couple years ago choice, and finally the toffee bars I made are the worst, so don't even put one on my plate!
 image 
There's the line-up!  I always bake my paleo goods in parchment paper.  It makes them so much easier to get out of the pan.

2 comments:

  1. So.. I've seen that Twix bar recipe. Do they taste super good, or would you prefer one of the good chocolate chip cookie recipes? Just curious if they're worth me making for a treat sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were good, everyone loved them at our family get together (kids & adults, even those who do not eat gluten free). They didn't really taste like a Twix to me & they were very messy. These are a very rich and a sugary treat, albeit natural sugars. Try them for something special. Cookies are a much easier, quicker treat. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete