Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

How to Make Vanilla Extract

As I begin this tutorial, I think back to shopping with my mom many years ago.  I had several bottles of vodka in my cart.  She didn't say anything and I didn't think anything of it.  A few weeks later I mentioned that I'd started a bunch of vanilla with beans I had bought in bulk to give as Christmas gifts.  She was relieved to know that is what I was doing with all that vodka!  :)

Anyway, here is the process my sister-in-law taught me years ago.  I use a lot of vanilla and keep a bottle or two going all the time now!

Ingredients:
vodka
vanilla beans

To get started decide how much you want to make.  I used 30 beans in 1.75 liters of vodka.
 

1. Dump a little vodka out of the bottle into another container to make room for the beans.  (What you do with this is your own business!  I keep it in my cleaner cabinet as it works well to remove sticky or gummy things.)

2.  Slit each bean longways and open up to reveal the gritty part.



 
3.  Put beans in jar.
4.  Replace lid and label with date.  


  
5.  Store in a cool, dark place for at least 6 months.  I like to try for at least 1 year.  If you think of it, give it a shake about once a month.

Here is the bottle I'm currently using and the little bottle I refill and keep by my spices.  

  
I got to thinking that tequila is plant based instead of grain based like vodka, I wonder if that would work for the base?















No comments:

Post a Comment