Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Today I made laundry detergent.  Why am I making laundry detergent on such a beautiful day?  Well, I ran out today.  We average about 3 loads of wash a day and it really makes a difference in our household.  I was lazy a couple months ago and quit making it.  I was buying the "free & clear" "contains no phosphates" brand and figured it was fine.  After a few weeks my kiddo with very sensitive skin was having breakouts in hives and eczema again.  I have now rewashed all of kiddo's clothes and their skin is much better!  I have included this since many people think making laundry detergent all comes down to price.

Anyway, I have made my own for years.  I've done the liquid kind that you use 1 cup, I've done the dry, powered kind, recently I've been making the sauce that you use 1 Tbsp per load.  I think the sauce kind is my favorite.  The liquid takes a lot more room to store and is messier to make, the powdered did not always dissolve in my HE machine on cold wash loads.

Here's the recipe I made today:  Laundry Detergent Sauce.  Here's what I do different.  I grate my soap in my Vitamix on Variable 4.  I also put the finished product in an 8 cup glass container overnight, then dump it all in my Vitamix to whip since my blade does not fit on a mason jar.    

No comments:

Post a Comment